Updated: 4 days ago
Alpha Episode 6. How & Why Should I Read The Bible?
The inspiration for this dish comes from Psalm 19 7- 11 and 1Peter 2:2
The law of the Lord is perfect,
refreshing the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant,
giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is pure,
The decrees of the Lord are firm,
and all of them are righteous.
They are more precious than gold,
than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
than honey from the honeycomb.
By them your servant is warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.
~Psalm 19: 7-11
1Peter 2:2 Like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation.
SERVES 10. PREP TIME 1HR COOK TIME 1HR
Honey glazed pastry
375g sheet frozen puff pastry 52cm x 26cm sheet), thawed
1/2 cup (180g) liquid honey, plus extra to drizzle
90g or 1 cup of corn starch
1/3 cup liquid honey
1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk
1 tbs vanilla paste or extract
2 gelatine sheets or 12g powdered gelatine
2 cups (500ml) cream
4 egg yolks, whisked.
Easy Option: Use Vanilla pie filling such as Shirriff or Jello. Follow the directions on the package. Vanilla pie filling can be found at most grocery stores.
Honeycomb- Optional but recommended.
1/2 cup (110g) sugar
1/4 cup (90g) honey
3/4 tsp baking soda,
1 pinch of cream of tartar
2 medium pots
9 x 11 cake pan or ceramic pan with sides
Honey Glazed Pastry
1.Preheat the oven to 350 F/180°C. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cut the puff pastry sheet into 2 rectangles that will just fit inside your 9 x 11 cake pan. Your Place the trimed puff pastry on the parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Brush both the pastry sheets generously with honey, then cover each sheet with a piece of parchment paper and place another baking tray on each to weigh down and keep flat while baking.
3. Bake for 30 minutes at 350F or until the pastry is cooked through. Remove the weights and the top sheets of baking paper, then brush the pastry with more honey. Put the honey glazed puff pastry back in the oven to continue backing for another 10 minutes checking at every 3-5 minutes to be sure the honey doesn't burn. Bake until it’s crisp, golden and glossy. Set the pastry sheets aside to cool.
1. If using sheet gelatine, soak the gelatine in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes to soften. If using powdered gelatine, mix with hot water and bloom the gelatine according to the envelope's directions.
2. Milk Custard. Place the cornstarch in a saucepan. Whisk in the milk and vanilla into the cornstarch until fully incorporated. Add in the cream and honey and bring to a simmer on medium heat until it simmers, stirring constantly with a spatula scraping the bottom of the pot. Remove from heat once it starts to thicken.
3. Squeeze the excess water from gelatine if using sheet gelatine, or add bloomed powdered gelatine to the thickened milk. Whisk until melted and combined. Slowly whisk in the egg yolks until smooth and combined.
If using a pudding or pie filling mix, simply follow the directions on the box. Once you have mixed your pie filling proceed to next steps.
4. Line the 9 x 11 cake pan with parchment paper. Using a serrated knife, trim the pastry to fit the prepared pan if needed. Place 1 piece, honey-side up, in the base of the pan. Pour the custard over the pastry base, then set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly. Place remaining pastry pieces, honey-side up, on top. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight or until firm.
1. For the honeycomb, Mix the baking soda and creme of tartar in a small bowl. Grease a 9 x 11” pan and line with parchment paper. Place sugar, honey and 2 tbs water in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 5 minutes or until deep golden and it reaches 154°C on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat and allow bubbles to subside. Working quickly, add the baking soda and creme of tartar, stirring with a wooden spoon to combine (honeycomb will foam). Quickly pour into the prepared pan and set aside to cool completely. When ready to serve, remove honeycomb from pan and roughly chop.
2.Using a serrated knife, cut the vanilla slice into pieces. Drizzle with extra honey and top with honeycomb to serve.